CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Brief Sidebar...But Not Really

First, a moment of silence. My old faithful computer (loving named Dellia last week when I was trying to coax her into working) seems to have given up the ghost...with 2 or 3 blogs I'd already prepared on it. :( Since I can't post from my phone, things may be a little slow around here for a little while. *Pours out a little OJ in Rememberance*


When I originally started this blog, it was to address mental health/self esteem issues to those living with HIV/AIDS as well as family members and caretakers. But I wanted it to be more of a retreat, not necessarily a clinic deal where you learn about medicines and doctors. Every woman, regardless of their status, should have a place to go where they can relax; both mentally and physically. Thus, Project Nefertiti was born. Even I'm still shaping what I want this space to become, I love being able to contribute to the fight in my own way.

Now, speaking of fighting...ladies..how many times have you fought that little voice in your head telling you to sit down and rest? Or go to the doctor? Or tell someone NO? I'm still working on it myself. The biggest problem I probably have is telling people no. I can be exhausted beyond all meaning of the word but if someone asks me to help them I'll keep pushing..and if I work up the gumption to say no, I feel guilty about it for pretty much the rest of the day.

For a lot of women, that kind of guilt builds up until they are walking around depressed and because of the stigmata attached to receiving treatment in the African American community, we don't really address the issue. I mean, we'll talk to our pastor or friends or family, but if they're depressed too...?

The fact of the matter is, like HIV/AIDS with stats like this: http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/MIO/Fact_Sheets1/AA_MH_Diparities_04.pdf and this: http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/cre/fact1.asp the need for conversation is long overdue. While we are overhauling our health care system, it is my hope that a huge push is made towards providing care for those that need more than a band aid.

0 comments: