CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Why I Rock the Red Pump

Hello Beauties!



As we know, today, December 1st is World AIDS day. In the years past, I never really gave much thought to this day. But this year, it holds more significance to me than ever. I recently joined the Red Pump Project (http://www.theredpumpproject.com/) which is an inititave helping to educated women and girls about the effects of HIV/AIDS.

The two women that started this movement, Luvvie and Karyn, are awesome, let me tell you. Even though I've never met them in person, I look up to both of them for the passion they show in educating and healing our community. The Red Pump Project was born in March 2009 in Chicago, IL. Since then, it has grown to include over 40 ambassadors in over 20 states. They've also started the Red Tie Project (http://www.theredtieproject/), an initiative striving to educate men and boys about HIV/AIDS.

In reading statistics before I actually reached out to Luvvie and Karyn, I felt a huge burden to make a difference. The millions and millions of people that are infected and dying from this disease is ridiculous. And, more importantly, preventable. However, I never would have known had I not done the research. It seemed to me, as I read over the information, that people thought HIV was a secret or a joke, especially in the african-american community. I emailed the contact on the Red Pump page and waited for a reply, already thinking about what I could bring to their organization.

Fast forward to about two weeks later. I received the news that a friend of mine was diagnosed with HIV. You know how a lot of people say they never thought it could be them? Well, I never thought it would be someone I knew either. Suddenly, worrying about bills seemed trivial. I was worrying about a close friend possibly not being here as long as I thought. It felt like someone had a tight grip on my heart and lungs.

So, when I got a reply back from Karyn a few days later, I was even more impassioned. When I'm doing research for this blog and for Red Pump, it's difficult not to worry if my friend will go through some of the same things I'm reading about. I worry, but I will never stop fighting for equality and awareness in my city and any other city I may travel to. So that is why I rock the red pump now, and forever.




And to my friend, I am awed every day by your stregnth and faith through everything. I love you.

1 comments:

Luvvie said...

Thank you for joining us in the fight against HIV/AIDS. We need more women like you to help us stop the spread of the disease and appreciate everything you do.

Luvvie